Design News takes a look at how five different companies have introduced design apps that make the process of moving a product from design concept through manufacturing more efficient.
- Arena Solutions – Quality Management System – Medical device companies need to innovate while maintaining a strong quality management system to comply with legislated manufacturing practices. The QMS is needed to ensure that products are safe and effective. There is often a disconnect between the quality and product data as well as between the quality and product teams themselves. Arena solutions has expanded its quality system capabilities to create the convergence of PLM and QMS. The ability to manage designs, documents, closed-loop quality processes, and also add training to the same environment offers the traceability needed to innovate while also ensuring compliance.
- Augment – Augmented Reality Improves Manufacturability – Augment is an augmented reality platform provider that allows users to envision any object in its intended environment by using a simple mobile app. The app matches the company’s Augment Desktop and allows them to take it into the field. The mobile tool helps users visualize how the product will perform in the manufacturing setting. You can visualize the product before you begin to create it physically. In the past, you needed to use 3D glasses for that visualization. Now all you need is an iPad or a smartphone.
- Opto 22 groov with New Graphics – groov is a mobile operator interface system designed to add integrated image management, new image uses, and new on-screen and project options so users can create a customized operator interface for the design and manufacturing process. The goal is to help design engineers prepare their products to work with machines, equipment, and control systems by manipulating the design on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. With groov 3.1, industrial automation engineers, system integrators, and machine OEMs can create highly customized operator interfaces that meet their needs, including data-rich dashboards for IoT applications. groov 3.1 comes with an image library to help engineers build custom mobile smartphone and tablet interfaces for automation and IoT applications. For mobile devices, a groov View app for iOS and Android is available free on the iOS App Store and Google Play Store.
- SolidWorks Browser-Based Xdesign – Designed to complement the existing SolidWorks portfolio, Xdesign was created to deliver a browser-based, full software-as-a-service (SaaS) product design tool in addition to expanding and introducing new design methodologies. Xdesign is intended to give users the ability to use SolidWorks products in any format they choose, whether desktop, hybrid, or online.The browser-based Xdesign SaaS gives users quick access to SolidWorks, including the full range of product data. That access can also be extended to co-workers, customers, and suppliers.
- Siemens PLM Cloud-Based Data Management – Siemens’ Solid Edge ST9 software provides Solid Edge with cloud capabilities. The new ST9 app offers cloud-enabled anywhere-access to designs and design data as well as scalable data management for rapid migration of legacy designs and data. Beyond Siemens products, ST9 integrates into useful tools such as Dropbox.
>Read more by Rob Spiegel, Design News, 6/23/16